The Highchair Contraption

Our first 4 children used a fancy plastic highchair that I got at my very first baby shower. It had a doo-hickey that went in between the baby’s legs for the tray to attach to that made it impossible for the baby to squirm out.

You know, when they do that melting butter act when they want out of your arms? They also try that in car seats, highchairs, and basically anywhere they don’t want to be. Anyway, the doo-hickey worked great to keep them where they were supposed to be… until it broke sometime after baby #4 started using it. After that, the tray would fly off with the slightest push.

Then, my mom offered to give me the antique highchair that she had eaten in when she was a baby. She had also fed my sisters and me in the same highchair. It is beautiful and I’m so glad to be able to feed my babies in such a special chair.

The only thing it needed was a doo-hickey. So I made one out of a couple of handkerchiefs I had from an overly ambitious cowboy theme decorating project.

One end is tied to the highchair and the other end is wrapped around the baby’s waist and also tied to the highchair. We call it “the contraption”, and it works for me!

We keep it tied into the chair.

Then, we tie the baby in.

See? No more melting butter!

Comments

1. That’s great!! I did something similar using the fabric cover off an infant bouncy seat. (My hubby made two wood high chairs for our little girls!)

Mary, mom to many

2. Awesome! Maybe I can even tie my three year old into a chair.

3. A Hopeful Hollar says:

I’m so glad that you showed pictures! Soooo cute!

I’m looking forward to tomorrows post. :-)

4. LinesFromTheVine says:

That’s great! We’ve not found a good highchair yet! I keep coming back to this idea! Perhaps I’ll rethink it!

Blessings!
    Tracy

5. That’s a great idea! With a cute baby to boot!
    Thanks for sharing!

6. That is a great idea! I just found your blog and may be here all night. You have so many wonderful ideas! I love the apron. Please enter me in your contest. I bought a pattern several months ago to make aprons for me and my girls. I just haven’t gotten around to it!
    Tammy

7. What a great idea! I have a pretty wooden high chair, also, but am having a time keeping my youngest in it. He seems to be a bit of an escape artist :). Did you sew the hankies together? I have just discovered your blog. It looks great!

8. Myfriendconnie says:

Kristi, I used 3 bandanas. 1 for the seat, folded in a large rectangle, 1 to tie to the highchair, folded diagonally into a long tube, and the last folded diagonally into a tube, but cut and sewn to the seat in 2 seperate parts (to make it longer). Is that as clear as mud?

9. AnnaLiza says:

ohhh what a great idea!

10. RaisingOlives says:

That is a wonderful idea! Thanks Connie, and I love your high chair.

Blessings,
    Kimberly

11. Muthering Heights and Other Senseless Sensibility says:

LOL, that's hilarious!!

12. What? Where are the step by step instructions complete with multiple photos? You really need to sew up a “spare” and take plenty of photos so that those of us with no imagaination can make one as well. Pretty please with sugar on top?!

13. That is great. For the sewing challenged among us (who, me!?) you can also use a ring sling. Just unthread it so it’s one long length of cloth. Then wind it through the wood at the back of the chair and around baby and rethread it, and tighten. Works for me. :)

14. That is fantastic.
    With my first child I bought a similar but expensive contraption that ties them onto any chair. It has been very useful and will be used over and over. By looking at the products website might inspire others to copy it. It is similar to yours.
    It is called a “Totseat” – http://www.totseat.com/english/home/

1. [...] first posted about this highchair seatbelt years ago, but here I show in 5 minutes how you can sew your [...]