Place Value Chart

I made this place value chart years ago (as in, the 1980s) out of a file folder. It is laminated and has held up very well. I use it to teach the reading of large numbers.

The kids love to use the cards to see how many different numbers they can make. The possibilities are practically endless.

They actually have fun taking turns creating numbers and reading them aloud. Of course, the words help them and before long, they can read any large number! It works for me! Go to Rocks in my Dryer for more “Works for Me” tips.

Comments

1. Terrific! I am going to make a bunch for my class this weekend! Just in time to review for state testing!

2. devildogwife says:

This is a great idea. We’re working on higher numbers right now, so I’ll be putting this idea to use. Thanks!

3. Wonderful, wonderful chart! My boy is really getting into numbers lately. I’m mean he’s really obsessed. He would love to have this handy information. Thanks for sharing!

4. laughing mommy says:

What a cool chart! Great idea. I will have to remember to make one when my daughter is old enough. Thanks!

5. CanadianCarrie says:

excellent idea! I might just do this for when my kids are older. How young do you start your kids doing this?

6. Myfriendconnie says:

Canadiancarrie, My first grader was working with it just this week.

7. Terrific Teens says:

Great idea! Wish I would have had something like that when my kids were younger

8. WOW! I’m going to use this one! My 2nd grader needs a little help with this sometimes and she’s a very tactile learner. Great idea, Thanks!!

Here’s mine: http://smcarney.blogspot.com/2007/02/common-denominator-of-potatoes-and.html

9. I love this idea! My 1st-grade daughter is quite a reader, but a little slower with “getting” math and numbers. Anything I can find to help her along is great!

10. Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) says:

How wonderful that you made this in the 80′s and it has held up! Great tip.

11. Would you mind telling me exactly how you did this? How many folders did you use? How many inches apart are the sections? Just some details so that I can make one for my DS5y9m & DD3y11m. They would absolutely LOVE this! Thanks!

12. Myfriendconnie says:

Sure, Pam, I used a regular file folder and made the markings to show the places. Then, I laminated it and used one of those specialty staplers (that can staple books) to make places for the number cards. Beyond that, I don’t remember any details because it was so long ago. If you click on the photo it should enlarge, and you can get a close up look.

I hope that helps somewhat. Sorry for the sketchy memory!

13. Myfriendconnie says:

Oops, I forgot to say the spaces are 2 inches and the cards are 1 1/2 inches across.

14. A happy heart at home says:

What a great idea! Thanks for posting about it.

~Susan

15. rcsnickers says:

thanks for the cool tip! I made one for us!!!

1. [...] Place Value Chart School House Rock Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons A Sample Reading Lesson [...]