Go here to read Part 1
There we were, facing the doctor and a very big decision. Do we go back home and wait for the baby to make her appearance in the middle of an ice storm? Or do we allow the doctor to induce labor? Well….he was waiting….
We asked if he would give us a few minutes to discuss it and he left us alone. We discussed all the issues and fears we had, including, What if the baby really isn’t ready? What if the induction leads to a cesarean? Sometimes, that happens, you know.
We decided that, given the distance we were from the hospital and the bad weather coming, we should go ahead with the induction. I told the doctor that I absolutely did NOT want any Pitocin, though, because a) Pitocin is a wicked, evil drug, and b) I don’t like feeling like I’m being kicked in the stomach, c) Over and over again. But that’s just me.
I also reminded the doctor that once he ruptured my membranes, I was SURE that I would be having the baby within a couple of hours because that is the way it had happened the times before. He went ahead with the AROM (artificial rupture of membranes) and my husband and I chatted and looked forward to the baby coming soon.
MaddieLynn called and we told her that we would probably be calling with the exciting news before her bedtime. I noticed, though, that unlike in the past, my contractions didn’t increase in intensity after the AROM.
After a couple of hours, by this time it must have been 9:00p.m., the nurse checked my dilation again and found that I still had not changed! AT ALL! She suggested that Pitocin be administered, but I told her, “Nothankyouverymuch.”
Time kept ticking away, though, and I wondered how much longer I would be waiting. I knew that if I hadn’t delivered within a reasonable time, the doctor would take measures to make sure I did since there is a risk of infection when the membranes are ruptured.
I finally, with much trepidation, consented to a Pitocin drip. I asked that it be administered very slowly at first, and turned up gradually so I could prepare myself for that gut wrenching, stomach kicking feeling. Have I mentioned that I don’t like Pitocin?
The drip was started, and I thought, that now, surely, we would be getting somewhere. That must have been around 10:30p.m.
The nurse was increasing the drip every so often, and my contractions were steady (as they had been for 2 days by that time), but never much stronger. Somewhere in the wee hours of the next morning, I developed a rip roaring headache and got a little pain relief through my I.V. I ended up having to get a couple of doses of it (something like Demerol, but not as strong) to knock out that headache.
By about 4 in the morning, I was wondering what in the world was going on with my body. I was having serious doubts about whether I would have the strength to push a baby out when I needed to. I worried about my uterus, too. Would my muscles be completely tapped out when the time came? Was the time ever coming?
At 6:00, my husband called a friend to go to our house and take over the babysitting so the college girl could make it to her classes. “No, we still don’t have a baby. Yes, it’s been a rough night.” I heard him say.
My contractions were getting more uncomfortable, and I think the nurse checked me again and said I was 6 cm now. I should have been encouraged, but it just made me despair even more. Why was this dragging on so? We must have made the wrong decision about the induction. This is my body’s way of trying to protect the baby. What have I done?
To be continued…
Go here for part 3.