Before I tell you the recipe for homemade ice cream that my mother in law gave me, the recipe that won 1st place in a homemade ice cream competition, I am going to issue an important warning.
Just in case you have put all the ingredients together and suddenly realize you have approximately 2 tablespoons of rock salt, DO NOT think that you can empty the entire contents of your salt shaker plus all the salt you can find in your pantry into the ice and it will effectively freeze the ice cream the way rock salt does.
Because if you do, even though you will find yourself checking the ice cream every few minutes for THREE HOURS, you will end up with a large quantity of ice cream soup.
The rock salt is essential in making the ice cold enough to actually freeze the ice cream.
Live and learn.
Homemade Ice Cream (Vanilla)
1 cup sugar
2 cans Eagle Brand condensed sweetened milk
6 cups milk
1/2 pint whipping cream
- Beat eggs with fork.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Place in ice cream freezer canister. (This can be made ahead of time and chilled for a shorter churn time.)
- Layer ice and rock salt in bucket around canister. Top off with 1/2 cup water.
- Turn on ice cream freezer.
- Sit back and wait for your frozen treat.