Homemade Clorox Sanitizing Spray

A while back I noticed a lot of advertisements for Clorox Sanitizing Spray. The product makes these claims:

• Gentle enough to use around kids and food
  • Kills 99.9% of bacteria: E. coli, Salmonella, Staphylococcus (Staph.) and Streptococcus (Strep.)
  • Leaves no harmful chemical residue

When I examined the ingredients, I noticed that bleach comprises 0.009% of the total volume and it claims to be “gentle as water”.

So I says to myself, maybe partially out loud, “Smockity, you, your very self, know of a substance right in your own home that is as gentle as water.”

“And furthermore, Self, that safe and gentle substance is right simple to obtain. Why, you might even say it is as simple as turning on the faucet. And, let’s say you found an empty spray bottle and filled it up with that easy to obtain, gentle substance and then add 1/4 tsp. of gen-yoo-wine Clorox Bleach.”

“Then, with a permanent marker you write ‘HOMEMADE CLOROX SANITIZING SPRAY‘. Well, you’d have a product of your own making that people would pay upwards of $3.29 for at the Piggly Wiggly.”

So that’s exactly what I did.
And then I shouted “Jubilation” and “Land O’ Goshen! I’ll be rich!” but I realized that didn’t make any sense, mostly because my children had gathered around me in a semi circle and were staring at me in gape-mouthed confusion.
Okay… where was I going with this story?
Oh! Right! And it “Works For Me” every day, especially in the kitchen and bathrooms.

Homemade Clorox Sanitizing Spray

• 1 empty spray bottle
  • water
  • 1/4 tsp. Clorox Bleach

Check out We Are That Family for more Works For Me tips.

Comments

1. Lauramamadoula says:

you know… I’m alwys surprised at how few people really understand how easy it is to make your own “gentle as water but can kill e.coli” cleaners.

my favorite cleaners are water (yeah, crazy huh?), vinegar, tea tree oil…. and soap. dish soap. plain old dish soap. (I figure if it’s goodenough for dishes, it is probably pretty good for countertops too – even though it doesn’t make that claim on it’s directions- I’m willing to bet it’s true.

2. Smockity, you crack me up!!! I had to read it out loud to get all the twangy expressions :)

3. KrustyTheCat says:

I really need to make stuff like this! thanks for the idea!!!

4. great idea! i have to try this!

5. LoL…I, too, use “gen-yoo-wine Clorox Bleach” with that gentle, easy-to-use-and-obtain substance as my daily cleaner…not only a great tip, but it made me giggle – just what I needed to start this hump day off right!

Thanks, and I hope the rest of your week is wonderful!

6. Kathi Bailey says:

Hehehe…thanks for the reminder…healthier for our kiddos, and cheaper!

-Kathi

7. It Feels Like Chaos says:

Thanks for this; I really do need to start making my own cleaner!

8. Kim (aka- Kanga-mom and sometimes Rabbit-mommy) says:

Thank you for the humorous reminder. I’ve never been one to make my own cleaning products, but the cost of them is outrageous and as I read more and more blogs about making them yourself, I’m amazed at how easy it is. By the way… I love the name of your blog. Very catchy and witty. Have a blessed day!

9. Paula Constable says:

That is so true! I’m glad I found your blog. You are so funny! I need funny, esp during the winter months of snow days and blowing snow.

10. How do you write like that….you must be talking to yourself and writing at the same time. Hilarious!! I’ve just started making all my own cleaners and it’s amazing what we will believe is continent

11. LOL Thank you for this post on Clorox Sanitizing Spray. I would’ve never guessed that the first thing I’d laugh at this morning would be a hysterical commentary on a spray. hehehe I’ve made some myself. I think I’ll jiffy up some again- seeing as how the 3 year old is not-so-careful in his toileting habits. And it’s negative 65 degrees. This sounds like a great day to do some cleaning. ;)

12. Thanks for de-bunking one of my favorite products! If I become a millionaire because of all the $$ I save I will give big thanks to you!!

13. I loved this post and I kept thinking of it and laughing. I copied you except I did not even use gen yoo wine Clorox…I used Tar-jay brand…hope it still works … you know how particular this secret formulas can be.

14. I just made my own yesterday! I then called up info to make sure that what I did was safe. You just
    made me sure!. thanks I love your blog. also rocks in my dryer.

15. Amy @ Finer Things says:

Girl! The things we don't have to pay for… sheeesh. ;-)

16. Is this using regular strength Clorox or "Ultra"?

17. Smockity Frocks says:

I use regular strength.

18. LOL! :D I am so with you. Why do we spend money on something so easy to make ourselves? :D I use part hydrogen peroxide/water/dish soap/lemon oil. :D

19. I LOVE making my own cleansers, soaps and detergents! The cost saving is through the roof!

20. My girlfriend used to work in a daycare and they made up the same solution to clean the desks & toys. (I’m not sure the exact ratio they used). They were required to make up a new solution daily to ensure the efficacy of it. I’m sure for home use what you you are suggesting is fine but I thought I’d pass this information on – for example, if your family is currently ill, you might want to make i[ a “fresh” bottle.

I don’t actually use bleach as it isn’t good for the environment; I use vinegar and water in a spray bottle on everything!

21. I soo need to whip some of this up… I love Lysol’s Kitchen Cleaner… be thinkin’ I need to check out its ingredient list!

And for the record, I wish we had a Piggly Wiggly around these parts… Just so I could say it on a regular basis…lol!

22. What size of spray bottle do you use for this particuar “recipe”? there are so amny sizes and I would want to get the proportions right :)

23. I am in “Sunny” Scotland and love this post. I am trying to be frugal and green where I can. My husband and I have just learned how god teaches us about money through the bible. After nearly 10 years of marriage we finally know where we have been going wrong and are at the start of our journey to correct our finances. Anyway I mainly clean with vinegar, although use bleach on the WCs. I have occasionaly bought a spray “Dettox” (like Clorox). Never again… its supermarket value brand bleach in water for me. Thanks. I LOVE your site!

24. I bought some recently on sale and my hubbyloves it. Now I must make my own. I usually use coupons with sales, but this still would cost less. Thank you!

1. [...] my homemade Clorox Sanitizing spray to disinfect doorknobs, light switches, and high traffic [...]

2. [...] Free FAQ’s Gluten Free Cheat Sheet Homemde Clorox Sanitizing Spray Preparing for Cold and Flu Season All Natural Moisturizing Kitchen Hand [...]