Quick One Skillet Dinner

When we visited Silver Dollar City a couple of years ago, we saw a guy in a hillbilly outfit cooking up something like this at one of those vendor carts and selling it for about $10 a plate.

I came home and determined to make something like it and the kids labeled it “Fall Fry”. They love it and request it often.

It is super simple to make and requires only one skillet, which is the makings of a winning recipe in my book.

Here are the ingredients. (Pretend there are potatoes in this picture.) I also used green bell peppers this time, but prefer it without.

Chop the onion and slice the sausages into round pieces. Saute them together in a large skillet until the onions are tender. I also added some bacon grease because I’m all about the health food. I guess you could leave it out if you have something against flavorful, fatty goodness.

Chop the potatoes and pitch them in the skillet with just enough water to cover everything. Top with a lid and boil until the potatoes are mushy, about 15 minutes. Add a can of whole kernel corn and simmer until warmed.

The potatoes will absorb all the water and get nice and mushy. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy.

Comments

1. Lindsey in AL says:

Now I need to go search the freezer for a sausage of some type- preferably kielbasa. We love kielbasa and fried potatoes here. I like to serve it with kraut on the side but haven't made any in a while. Maybe I'll wait for the whole meal until I get that done. Or maybe we'll have hot dogs :P

Don't you love how people will shell out huge bucks for something super cheap, just because it's outside? I love fair food!

2. heartnsoulcooking says:

I make something like this, but I use hotdog. THis recipe sound like a GRAT!!! comfort food recipe. THANKS!!! for sharing. Geri

3. Wow, this looks really good! Thanks for sharing =)

4. gordonnancylarson says:

I've made something similar to that and added milk and had corn chowder! Thanks for the reminder!
    Nancy

5. we have loved the other one skillet dinner you recommended – the spaghetti sauce, hamburger meat, box o' macaroni one. i'm sure they will love this as well. please, PLEASE give us MORE one skillet dinners!!!

6. So how many potatoes to you use for your family? We have the same size family and this looks like it would go over very well with the troops.

7. I’m always on the look-out for foods that my picky two-year old will eat, and I think I’ve found one of them here! Thank you so much for sharing! I would love to post a link to this recipe on my blog as well!

8. Tammy Pena says:

We have something similar at our house, we use ground beef instead and I can usually add shredded zucchini and carrots with out anyone suspecting they are eating something healthy. I don’t use potatoes though, instead opt for rice. It can be used as a stuffing for bell peppers ( yellow or orange only) with the tops diced up and added in. Or used with out and made into a meatloaf!

9. Kelly Hassenzahl says:

This looks like what my husbands family would make camping in tin foil packets. They called it “Hobo Pie.” We add green beans instead of peppers and make it on the stove top (for quick) or in the oven covered for a longer time. We also sometimes add cheese. Its a family favorite! :-)

1. Menu Plan says: