We just returned from a winter beach vacation and I thought a list of pros and cons would be beneficial to any Smockity readers considering a similar trip.
- Up to half price off beach rentals during the “off season”.
- No crowds. We practically had the entire beach to ourselves, only seeing a handful of people the whole week we were there.
- No danger of drowning, shark attacks, jelly fish stings, etc. since it was only warm enough for wading.
- No need for sunscreen.
- No heat strokes.
- Weather can be unpredictable. The locals said they had two seasons: summer and February. Apparently, no one told the second week in December about this arrangement, because we had rain, fog, wind, and SNOW. Yes, snow on a south Texas beach.
- Cold + water = Super cold
- Packing jackets and rubber boots take up lots of space.
- Lots of time indoors because of rain is bad for Mommy’s nerves.
Our kids are super good sports and endured the wind and cold to have plenty of fun digging in the sand, collecting scads of seashells, and building sand castles. We had two days of mild temperatures, too, so they enjoyed wading and splashing about.
All told, I’m not sure we will plan another winter beach vacation, but we would definitely like to return to the beach! I think October would still be considered “off season”, so the discounts would be available, but the weather would hopefully be nicer.
*Stay tuned for Smockity Answers Reader Questions, coming soon!