(Photo by Lynn's Kitchen Adventures )
Did you know making your own cake frosting is a breeze? We make our own for most of our cakes using this simple recipe.
Creamy Butter Frosting
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound (3 1/2 cups) powdered (confectioner's) sugar - NOT granulated!
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
Chocolate Frosting Variation
- Add 2-4 Tbsp. cocoa powder to above powdered sugar.
- Beat in additional milk, a little at a time until creamy.
- Cream butter, salt, and vanilla, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar gradually, beating after each addition.
- Add 3 tablespoons milk, beating until smooth. Beat in more milk until desired spreading consistency is reached.
Makes about 2 1/3 cups of frosting, enough to frost tops and sides of of an 8-inch 2-layer cake or a 10-inch tube or bundt cake, or about 1 dozen cupcakes.
You can make just about any flavor or consistency you want. Use it to frost a funfetti cake from scratch !
Don't forget to check back on Thursday for the kickoff of "4 Moms, 35 Kids - How Moms of Many Manage".