This week, The 4 Moms are discussing cooking with kids.
I am for it. I'm a believer. A "kids in the kitchen " type.
The thing is, if you are going to cook with kids, you have to give up any expectations of perfection, because in case you haven't noticed it before now, kids are messy. And inaccurate. And they like to lick things.
But once you get over the need for neatness and anything getting done in a timely manner, you will be giving something to your children that no one else can give.
Good times with Mommy.
You might have to give extra concentration to the "good" portion above, because it may be a stretch for you, depending on your tolerance for the messes I mentioned.
Just remember that THEY will remember. They may not recall what you made together or how to measure liquid ingredients, but, mark my words, years from now they will remember the time they spent in the kitchen with you.
Keep these things in mind when cooking with children:
- Keep it simple. Give them tasks they won't struggle with.
- Schedule plenty of time. Children don't work quickly.
- Smile! Remind them that you enjoy their help.
- Praise their efforts. Let them know what they are doing well.
- Don't fuss about the spills. Oh, there WILL be spills. Let them wipe it up and move on.
- Remind the family to thank the child when eating the fruits of their labor.
- Watch the child beam at the thanks and tell them you appreciate their help!
Now, be sure to visit the rest of The 4 Moms team to see what they say about cooking with kids!
Would you like to see more cooking tips from The 4 Moms?