Garden Photos

Welcome to another edition of Frugal Gardening 101 – The Busy Mom’s Guide!

Each Wednesday throughout the spring and summer I will be collaborating with Amy’s Finer Things and Getting Freedom to show you how even busy moms on a budget can garden!

We had quite a rain storm a couple of nights ago, which knocked down a large tree in our back yard. Fortunately, nothing was damaged, and our garden got a good soaking.

Here are my bush beans, which have been my quickest growers.

Tomatoes are looking good!

“Shouldn’t you be hunting mice?”

Here is the layout we have in the raised beds my husband built.

And here is how those 3 beds are in relation to the rest of our garden area. You can see that we have a lot of trees, so we just made the best use we could of the morning sun. (This photo was taken at about 6:30pm.)

Well, what about you?

Are you ready to share your gardening successes, failures, moments of clarity, how to’s, or what not to do’s? Each Wednesday, Frugal Gardening 101 will be a linky where YOU can show us what you’ve been up to in YOUR GARDEN.

You can join the fun with these simple steps:

• Post pictures or a video of your garden.
  • Link up directly to that post, not your blog’s main page.
  • Put a link in that post to one the host blogs so all your readers can join the fun, too!

Comments

1. Your garden looks great. We have planted lettuce, beans, peas, and corn. We hope to plant tomatoes and peppers in the next week or two.

• Smockity Frocks says:

Thanks, Lynn. I didn’t plant lettuce. Whenever I’ve planted it in the past, it always tastes very bitter. Any ideas why?

• I have found that lettuce gets bitter once it gets too hot. And we like to pick it as baby greens and it is always more tender. So I try to plant it early. It is usually the first thing I plant and the first picking is always the best. I am guessing where you are you might be able to plant some lettuce in the fall and have it do well also.

2. Holly Sentell says:

I am so jealous! We love in northern Nevada and we can’t plant anything until June 1st. This is a proven fact ask anyone here, if you plant before then there will be a frost that kills everything. I conformed this last year when I planted in May. It was such a nice May and it was my first garden, I was so excited to start. I lost everything to frost!! You are so lucky to be able to start your garden this early.

• Smockity Frocks says:

Holly, When we lived in the TX panhandle our planting date was April 25th and I thought that was late!

You won’t be jealous of our 100+ degree summers! I’ll be melting and wishing for your weather! :)

3. Jill Turner says:

Okay – I just posted something that looks so neat and has to be a money-saver. But it wasn’t my web site. Hope that’s legal. Hope you like it! ;) Are y’all feeling better yet?

• Smockity Frocks says:

Oh, wow! That shoe organizer is SUPER cool! (I’ll have to check with the blog police on the legality issue…)

No one barfed last night, so it looks like we are all on the mend!

4. I just came across your blog and am so glad I found it. We have planted lettuce, spinach, kola rabi and purple potatoes so far. I linked up my post on the potatoes. I can’t wait to make purple colored mashed potatoes later this year!!!! Thanks for hosting.

• Smockity Frocks says:

Well, I’m glad you came and I hope you keep coming back! We planted purple potatoes too!!! I hope they are good eats!

5. I am doing my first solo-garden this year and am also using raised beds. We won’t be able to plant until after Memorial day, but I’ve already started my broccoli, and will be starting my tomatoes soon. I have a dear friend who is tutoring me, and am so excited to snoop here too, especially since you will always be a few weeks ahead of me.

Blessings!

Hannah

6. I’m quite jealous of your tomatoes! :)

Love your raised beds and recycled beds! We’re going that route too!

1. [...] you are gardening this year, check out Frugal Gardening 101. Looks [...]