I have no idea because it isn’t happening for us yet.
A friend recently commented that it isn’t really a matter of going out to get a job, it is a matter of someone offering a job. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but you can’t just walk into Walmart and start stocking shelves. There first has to be an agreement that, yes, you may work here.
And so far that agreement hasn’t been made.
So we wait.
In the meantime, here are the things Mr. Smockity has done to increase his odds of being offered a job:
- Applied at a nuclear power plant in our area
- Applied at an energy plant in our area
- Applied at Tractor Supply
- Applied at Home Depot
- Applied at a local parts manufacturer
- Contacted the newspaper delivery office
- Spread the word at church that he is willing to do any work
- Gotten his commercial drivers permit
- Practiced driving a commercial truck
We are figuring the commercial driver’s license will make him more marketable if a job opens up that requires that.
He does have a degree in education, but teachers in our state are being laid off, due to cutbacks, so that leaves little hope there.
And so we wait.