Is there anything that says “summer” more than catching fireflies in a pickle jar?
We have an abundance of them where we live because fireflies like warm, humid areas with plenty of trees. Here are some ways you can have some firefly fun of your own:
- Get an empty, clean pickle jar and poke holes in the lid.
- Put a little grass and a few drops of water in the jar.
- Wait until dusk and hunt for fireflies in a damp area with plenty of trees.
- Carefully catch the fireflies and put them in the jar.
- After you’ve had your firefly fun, be sure to release them so they can make more fireflies!
Also, check out these:
- Facts about fireflies
- Firefly activity sheets
- Firefly coloring page
- Firefly watcher certificate
- Firefly unit study
- Firefly lapbook
- “The Very Lonely Firefly” unit
- Firefly craft
- Fascinating fireflies craft
- Online firefly games
- Firefly jokes
- Firefly FAQ