Would you like to make patriotic popcorn balls for your 4th of July celebration?
Here’s what you will need:
Patriotic Popcorn Balls Recipe (Makes 35 balls.)
- 38 cups of popped corn (which I got from 1 cup of popcorn kernels)
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 box red jello
- 1 box blue jello
1. Use a Whirley-Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper or other popper to pop the corn.
2. In each of 3 pots, place 1/3 cup corn syrup, 1 cup sugar, and 3 Tbsp. water.
3. In one pot, put the red jello, and in one put the blue jello.
4. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Cook 3-4 minutes.
5. Divide the popcorn into 3 batches and pour the syrup on, stirring to coat.
6. Let cool slightly until you can handle it.
7. Butter hands WELL, scoop up each color popcorn, and mash into a ball.
8. Allow to cool on wax paper. Then individually wrap with plastic wrap.
Tips for forming the popcorn balls:
- Butter hands between before each ball. Otherwise, the ball will stick to your hands and not itself.
- Mash hard. The balls will stick together better if you are firm.
- Don’t let the syrup cool too much. It will be difficult to form into a ball.
*Confession: My “blue” jello turned out to be RED, even though the picture on the box showed BLUE! I improvised and used blue food coloring in the plain syrup on these popcorn balls instead.