I have had quite a few emails asking me for tips in making an income with blogging.
I am going to be an open book here and tell you that last month I earned $1,200 in blogging income.
Please, know I am not trying to brag. There are many bloggers who make much more than that. Neither am I complaining. I know I am very blessed to be able to help my family pay our bills, especially during my husband’s layoff.
It is thanks to many of you for ordering through my Amazon link and reading here daily that I am able to make that income and we were able to pay our mortgage and essential bills.
I did work like crazy last month and my husband helped me. He chased down some leads and sent some emails that got me a few new opportunities.
My blogging income comes in bits and pieces. $50 here, $80 there, a couple of hundred for the other thing, until it all adds up.
Something to remember if you want advertisers to work with you, is that your blog needs to have a professional look.
- Have a neat, clean header, not too big.
- The first post should be visible without scrolling.
- Clean up your sidebar. Too many buttons and lists are distracting.
- Make navigation easy and obvious, up top is best.
- Put up a page with your stats and advertising rates.
- Buy your own domain. Advertisers will take you more seriously if you are YourBlog.com, instead of YourBlog.wordpress.com or Yourblog.blogspot.com.
Here are some resources that will help you understand how to build your blog into an income generator:
- Savvy Summit Recordings (30% OFF through August 7th with coupon code “ATLANTA”) These are the recorded sessions I attended at the blogging conference I went to last month. These are full of EXCELLENT advice for turning your blog into a business. This is the best money you will ever spend on making your blog a business (except for buying your own domain). HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
- Savvy Blogging
- Blogging With Amy
Here are some ways you can make money blogging:
- Become an Amazon affiliate. If you post products you like with your affiliate link, you will earn a small percentage of sales.
- Join Social Spark. They offer paid post opportunities.
- Put Google Adwords Adsense on your site. (They kicked me out, BUT I’M NOT BITTER!)
- Join Escalate Network. They alert you to offers you can present to your readers and give you a percentage of sales. Remember when I posted the free Quiznos coupons? I earned $64.60 just from that!
- Sign up with Business 2 Blogger. They will send you emails alerting you to paid campaigns that you can accept or reject. (Tell them I sent you!)
- Join Clever Girls Collective for more paid posting opportunities.
- Offer private ad space to other bloggers. I started out offering 125×125 ads for $25/month. Announce this on Twitter with the hashtag #savvyblogging.
- Join Swagbucksand promote your affiliate link on your blog and Facebook. I get free Amazon gift cards this way that I use for ordering school books and birthday gifts.
- Write and sell an ebook. I am putting the finishing touches on an ebook that I plan to release for sale very soon!
Note: If you are with an ad network, like BlogHer, that does not allow advertorial content, you must focus on increasing pageviews, since that is your only avenue for increasing income.
Did I leave anything out? Are you making blog income in a way I didn’t list here?
*This post contains affiliate links.