My children, even the teenagers, who are excellent and voracious readers themselves, love to sit around and draw, knit, or just listen while I read our favorite chapter books aloud.
Here are a few of the books we all love:
- Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers  - This has been said to be the "Little House for boys". It is similar to the Laura Ingalls Wilder books in that is is an autobiographical tale of a boy living in "olden days". This book has a few mild cuss words, which I skipped right over during the read alouds. Be prepared to cry your eyes out at the next to the last chapter.
- Man of the Family  - This is the next book in the series after "Little Britches", which I had to run right out to the library and get the minute I finished the first one. It's just as good! Ralph learns many lessons about honesty, hard work, and charity.
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe  - Classic C.S. Lewis. Of course, we had to read all the rest of the Narnia series as well.
- Understood Betsy  - Darling story of a sweet, but slightly spoiled little girl who has heard of children who are forced to do dreadful things called "chores". She soon finds out that they are not so dreadful when she goes to live with 2 aunts who expect her to contribute to the household.
- The Patchwork Girl of Oz  - From the Wizard of Oz series.
Here are some more of our favorite read alouds .