I was recently asked to teach a community class on frugal meals at our Christian Service Center.
I put together a simple dinner of chicken and rice casserole, with green bean casserole, and carrot and celery sticks. Since my husband loves to, he did the grocery shopping, and I totaled all the costs which came to a total of $7.20 for:
- 9×13 chicken and rice casserole
- green bean casserole
- plate of carrot and celery sticks
Depending on the age of the eaters, this will serve 6-10 people. This serves our family of 10 well since we have some itty-bitties who don’t eat much.
Here is the how I made the chicken and rice casserole:
Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
- 1 – 2 chicken breasts
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 3 cups instant rice (uncooked)
- 1 tsp. salt
- dash of pepper
1. Boil chicken breasts in pot with chopped onions, celery, and carrots until juices run clear.
2. Dice breast meat and set aside.
3. In 9×13 dish, add soup and 3 cups of water. Stir until well mixed.
4. Add 3 cups uncooked rice, chicken, salt and pepper.
5. Stir well and cover tightly with foil.
6. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
Check out these frugal meals too:
Be sure to see what the rest of The 4 Moms are cooking up:
Now it’s your turn! Link up your frugal recipe post and provide a link back to one of The 4 Moms’ frugal recipe posts.