I was recently asked to teach a community class on frugal meals at our Christian Service Center.
I put together a simple dinner of chicken and rice casserole, with green bean casserole, and carrot and celery sticks. Since my husband loves to, he did the grocery shopping, and I totaled all the costs which came to a total of $7.20 for:
- 9x13 chicken and rice casserole
- green bean casserole
- plate of carrot and celery sticks
Depending on the age of the eaters, this will serve 6-10 people. This serves our family of 10 well since we have some itty-bitties who don't eat much.
Here is the how I made the chicken and rice casserole:
Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
- 1 - 2 chicken breasts
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 3 cups instant rice (uncooked)
- 1 tsp. salt
- dash of pepper
1. Boil chicken breasts in pot with chopped onions, celery, and carrots until juices run clear.
2. Dice breast meat and set aside.
3. In 9x13 dish, add soup and 3 cups of water. Stir until well mixed.
4. Add 3 cups uncooked rice, chicken, salt and pepper.
5. Stir well and cover tightly with foil.
6. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
Check out these frugal meals too:
Taco Soup 
Mexican Mess 
Homemade Pizza 
Be sure to see what the rest of The 4 Moms are cooking up:
Now it's your turn! Link up your frugal recipe post and provide a link back to one of The 4 Moms' frugal recipe posts.