*This post contains affiliate links.
I have used *Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons to teach all of my children to read, and I am currently using it on my 8th child. Same old, trusty book, minus the cover, plus a few scribbled on pages.
I love this book for so many reasons.
- The lessons are short, usually around 15 minutes long.
- The book is all you need. There are no worksheets or flashcards involved.
- The parent part is scripted. Simply read aloud the words in red. No wondering exactly how to present the lesson.
- The child REALLY CAN read on about second grade level at the end of 100 days.
However, my children don’t always love doing these lessons each day. (They also don’t love doing their chores and going to bed on time.) Because the lessons require the child to sit still, concentrate, and remember and repeat what they hear, there is occasional whining, crying, stalling, and/or complaining. They are children, after all, and they don’t always like to do what they should do.
So, sometime during the teaching of 8 total children to read using this book, I figured out the following tip to promote good attitude during reading lessons.
- Line up Smarties in fold of book.
- Every time student whines, stalls, complains, refuses to cooperate, etc, Mom mercilessly, and without comment, eats a Smarty.
- Student gets all Smarties left at end of lesson.
I am telling you THIS WORKS LIKE MAGIC FAIRY DUST if done consistently.