We recently were gifted 2 large gallon size freezer bags full of fresh from the garden okra! So, of course, I took it straight home and we had our favorite dinner!
Here’s how we make our country fried okra.
Country Fried Okra Recipe
- Garden fresh okra
- 2 cups Corn meal
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/2 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Bacon grease (or oil for frying)
- Your grandma’s iron skillet
1. Combine corn meal, flour, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
2. Chop the okra into thin slices.
3. Toss the chopped okra in the corn meal and flour mixture.
4. Heat the bacon grease or oil to medium high in your grandma’s iron skillet.
5. Sift the okra out of the corn meal mixture that remains in the bottom of the bowl.
6. Fry okra in batches until golden brown.
7. Place on paper towels when taken out of the grease.
8. Salt to taste.
9. Serve with fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and gravy. Black-eyed peas optional.